This week I've continued to sand and fill the base for the Droplet.
It's a relatively slow process as each layer has to dry thoroughly before sanding. The good weather has helped and I've been able to leave the piece out in the sun to dry.
It's almost ready for casting. This week I will begin to make the mould.
I've started to work on the wall piece that accompanies the Droplet, it can be seen behind me in the photo above.
Sunday, 25 April 2010
Friday, 16 April 2010
The polystyrene core is coated with a finishing skim plaster. Several layers need to be applied to achieve the finish I want. The above photograph shows the second layer being applied to be base of the sculpture.
All week I've been coating and sanding back, coating and sanding back. I've still some way to go before the desired finish is achieved. Once I've got the surface refined I can begin to make my mould for casting it into fibre glass.
Mould and maquette.